This hearty Italian salad is made with crusty bread, peaches, fresh mozzarella, basil and red onion. It’s the perfect salad for anyone who doesn’t love salad.
A panzanella salad is one the best kind of salads. This Tuscan specialty is traditionally made with crusty bread and tomatoes, making it more like a pizza than an actual salad.
There’s really no cooking involved to make this delicious delicacy of bread and fruit, so it’s easier to whip up than a pizza.
What is a panzanella salad?
A panzanella salad usually consists of old bread, tomatoes and onions. It originated in Italy as a way to use up old bread and tomatoes that were just about past their prime.
Traditionally, the ripe tomato juice soaks into the stale bread making it soft and palatable. But more modern versions of panzanella salad use toasted bread and dressing to vary up the flavors and textures.
Some panzanella salads have cucumber and herbs as well. This peach panzanella salad has the same fresh taste, but with a slight twist.
How to make a Peach Panzanella Salad
This peach panzanella salad omits the tomatoes and adds in a few extras, like fresh basil, fresh mozzarella and peaches (of course)!
Making this recipe is REALLY simple. Here are the steps:
- Toast the ciabatta bread in the oven.
- In a large bow, combine the peaches, mixed greens, fresh basil, red onion and fresh mozzarella.
- Add the toasted ciabatta bread to the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Dress the salad right before serving!
What should I serve with the Peach Panzanella Salad?
This salad can be a lunchtime main dish or a dinnertime side. It’s a bit low in protein, so you will want to serve it with some sort of protein source. Here are some options:
- Serve it alongside a soup [Try this Four-Ingredient Butternut Squash Soup or Moroccan Lentil Soup]
- It makes a great addition to a summer BBQ. Serve it with Spiced Chickpea Veggie Burger.
- Turn this salad into a main with the addition of some protein, like Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas Two Ways on top.
- Add quinoa to turn this into a grain bow.
- Add tofu croutons for a protein boost.
I would love to hear from you!
If you make this salad, I would love to hear what you think. Snap a pic and tag me on IG:nutritionalanat or leave a rating below!
Peach Panzanella Salad
This hearty Italian salad is made with crusty bread, peaches, fresh mozzarella, basil and red onion. Perfect for anyone who doesn't love salad!
- 1/2 loaf ciabatta bread cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium peaches thinly sliced
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the pieces of ciabatta bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toast for 10 minutes.
While the bread is toasting, compile the salad. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, mixed greens, basil, red onion and fresh mozzarella. When the bread is toasted, add it to the salad.
In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup of olive oil and balasmic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dress the salad right before serving.*
*If not serving right away, store the dressing in a separate container. Only dress the salad immediately before serving.
This sounds amazing!!! Oh my, thanks for sharing 🙂