Loaded SunButter Oatmeal has berries and shredded coconut for natural sweetness. It’s a delicious and filling way to start the morning.
I’m a huge fan of oatmeal! It’s a fantastic vehicle for delicious and healthy toppings, like berries and sunflower seed butter.
What is SunButter?
If you’ve never tried it, sunflower seed butter is a healthy alternative to nut butter. It’s rich and creamy, and it’s made from sunflower seeds. Many people who are allergic to nuts used sunflower seed butter, otherwise known as SunButter, as an alternative.
SunButter has an impressive nutrient profile. Two tablespoons have:
- 7 grams of protein
- Vitamin E
- Unsaturated fats
Plus, it’s made from seeds, so it’s free from the top 8 allergens. When buying SunButter from the store, make sure you read the ingredients to purchase the sugar-free one.
5 ways to spice up oatmeal (without added sugar)
I know what you’re thinking– oatmeal is boring! I But, I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve that will entice you to try this healthy breakfast recipe. Here are my top 5 tips to spice up your oatmeal without adding unnecessary sugar or calories.
1. Cook the oatmeal in milk, instead of water. It’s a great source of vegetarian protein (8g in 1 cup). Protein helps you feel fuller longer, and most people don’t get enough of it at breakfast. (If you are lactose intolerant, water works just as well as milk.)
2. Use your favorite type of oatmeal– rolled oats, steel cut or quick cooking. [Learn more about the different types of oatmeal here.]
3. Top it with whatever fruit is in season. I usually opt for sweeter fruits, like bananas, sliced apples, berries or even clementines.
4. Use toppings that add flavor without sugar, such as shredded unsweetened coconut, nut butter or SunButter.
5. Make a savory oatmeal. If you’re watching your sugar intake, make a savory oatmeal. Cook up a batch of oats and top them with a poached egg, sautéed spinach and sriracha.
Loaded Oatmeal with SunButter
Loaded SunButter Oatmeal has berries and shredded coconut for natural sweetness. A delicious & filling way to start the morning, packed with protein & fiber
- 1/2 cup whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 small strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon SunButter
Combine the milk and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. (Keep a close eye on this as it comes to a boil. Milk boils over very quickly and can turn into a giant sticky mess)
Add the oats and stir. Turn the heat down to medium and let cook for about 5 minutes or until all the liquid has dissolved.
Top the cooked oats with strawberries, blueberries, coconut and SunButter.
sunbutter makes everything better doesn’t it! ?!?