This episode of the Greenletes Podcast features an interview with Pratik Patel, a Sports Dietitian, Strength and Conditioning Coach, and PhD student. For the past 20 years, he has studied nutrition, fitness, recovery, and the interplay between these and optimal health and performance.
He has spent the past 11 years implementing his knowledge with elite athletes, most recently as an Assistant Coach with the New York Giants as the Director of Performance Nutrition and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach in charge of all things nutrition, hydration, supplementation, sleep, and recovery related to optimizing health and performance.
Prior to his arrival at the Giants Pratik worked over 7 years at the collegiate level at Kansas State, Michigan State, and the University of Oregon where he had the opportunity to build, grow, and integrate sports nutrition departments from the ground up.
During his career Patel has worked with 2 NFL All-Pros, 8 Pro Bowlers, 33 NFL Draft Picks (7-1st Rounders), 7 NBA Draft Picks, 2 PGA Tour Players, and 3 USATF Olympians.
Patel is a Registered Dietitian and board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) as well as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
In this episode
Natalie and Pratik chat about:
- His journey and how he ended up working with the NY Giants
- What it is like working with high-level athletes
- How different positions have different nutrition plans
- Nutrition trends and misconceptions among pro athletes
- How creatine and BCAA supplements can aid performance
- How diet trends, such as going vegan, are popular among pro athletes and his thoughts on these trends
- Difference between on- and off-season nutrition
Listen on your fav player!
Subscribe and listen to the Greenletes podcast on your favorite podcast player: