This week on the podcast, Natalie interviews Marie Spano, MS, RD, CSCS, CSSD, one of the country’s leading sports nutritionists. She is the consulting major league sports dietitian for the Atlanta Braves. Spano previously worked for the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Blackzillians.
She is the lead author of Nutrition for Sport, Exercise and Health and co-editor of the NSCA’s Guide to Exercise and Sport Nutrition. She has appeared on CNN as well as NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS affiliates, and authored hundreds of magazine articles and trade publication articles, written book chapters and marketing materials.
In this episode
Natalie and Marie discuss:
- Marie’s career journey and how she ended up working with pro athletes
- Whether or not pro athletes are open to nutrition advice
- The unique pressures and body image issues that many athletes face in competitive sports
- What she thinks about the plant-based/vegan trend among competitive athletes
- Sports nutrition misconceptions that Marie gets asked about the most
- New issues with the sports nutrition world since the beginning of this pandemic
And don’t forget to follow me @greenletes.
Win $50 to Amazon!
For the next month, I’m giving four $50 gift cards to Amazon– one each week! All you have to do to win is rate the Podcast on Apple. Then go to this form and enter the username you used to leave the rating (so I can verify). I’ll pick a winner at the end of every week.